News

Prevention

Education
Seasonal Activity

Fall

Winter

Spring

Summer

Holidays
.
Home Safety
Resources
About burntalk
Guestbook
Google
Web Burntalk.com

Seasonal Activity

Fall:

Store summer barbeques and lawnmowers safely.
Store gasoline safely and use only as indicated.
Clean chimneys and fireplaces for winter use.
Have furnace cleaned and prepared for winter use.
Practice burn prevention on Halloween. Use flashlights instead of candles. Use flameproof or flame retardant costumes.
Change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
If your car has trouble starting, do not place gasoline in carburetor to try and start. Serious burn injuries result from flash flames.
In cool weather use caution as you drink more hot liquids and food to prevent scald injuries.
Complete a home fire and burn safety check.


Winter:

Follow manufactory instructions when using space heaters and wood burners.
Check kitchen areas for hazards- stoves, ovens and grease build up.
Be aware of hot liquids. Scald injuries are the number one cause of burn injuries.
Practice fire drills. Know two ways out of your home.
Check all of the exits from your home. Make sure they are not blocked and that hallways are clear.
Follow Holiday Safety tips. Prevent fires from electrical lighting, Christmas trees, candles.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- In its pure state, it is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas.
- When inhaled it combines with the body's blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen.
- The organs at greatest risk with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning are those with the greatest oxygen supply. The heart and the brain.
- Carbon Monoxide is created by the incomplete combustion of any fossil fuel. Such as automobile exhaust, improperly installed or malfunctioning fossil fuel-burning appliances (such as space heaters, furnaces, fireplaces).
- Common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning include the following:
- Poor ventilation in an area where fossil fuel- burning appliances are being used.
- Clogged or blocked chimneys, rusted flues or vents.
- Using fossil fuel burning appliances in an enclosed space. These appliances need fresh air to properly circulate the air.
- Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Similar to the flu- headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea and vomiting.
- Can cause unconsciousness or death at High Concentrations.
- If you think Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is present, act fast and do the following:
- Get out of the house.
- Get fresh air into the home by opening the windows.
- Call 911 /Seek medical attention.
- Find the source of carbon monoxide and get it fixed.
- Take precautions to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Have your heating system inspected annually.
- Call an authorized dealer to repair appliances.
- Utilize a Carbon Monoxide Detector certified by Underwriters Laboratories' standard 2034 and installed according to manufacturers' instructions to help alert you to a problem.


Spring:

Spring clean for fire safety in the home.
Clear the garage of papers and flammable products.
Store flammable liquids properly.
Maintain gasoline in safe containers and use safely. Teach children that gasoline is dangerous and is only used for running motors.
Teach children burn safety while working and playing outside.


Summer:

Wear suntan lotion or sun block to prevent sunburn.
Drink plenty of fluids while working or playing in the sun.
Do not open a hot radiator on your car. Let it cool down before you add more coolant or open the cap.
Watch for fire hazards around dry brush or grass.
Attend a professional fireworks display.
Outdoor Grilling and Barbecuing:
- Clean barbecues of grease build-up.
- Check to make sure all tubes and hoses are intact before using a gas grill.
- Propane gas grills should be checked according to manufacturing guidelines. If a propane leak is present, do not use and take immediate action to prevent fire.
- Gas grills should not be used indoors or under covered areas such as porches, breezeways, garages or carports.
- Never use gasoline to start or spark a fire.
- Learn the proper way to start a charcoal fire.
- Soak the coals with charcoal starter fluid.
- Wait 3-5 minutes before lighting coals.
- Charcoal lighting fluid is never added to burning coals. The fire can follow the fluid/fumes to the can and cause a fire flashback or explode. Instead, fan the coals.
- Safely dispose of hot coals. Do not leave hot coals unattended on a beach. A child could walk on the coals and get burned.


Campfires:

Build fires within a safe area. Encircle fire area with non-flammable objects, such as large stones, to contain the fire.
Never leave children unattended near a campfire.
Put out the campfire before leaving the area, using only non-flammable materials, such as water, dirt or sand.


Holidays:

Candles:

Never leave a candle unattended.
Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
Never burn a candle near anything that can catch fire.
Keep burning candles within eye sight.
Burn candles in secure fireproof containers.
Do not burn candles in draft near curtains, blankets or other flammable items. The flame can ignite the items as the draft blows the items into the flames.
Trim wick to � inch before lighting. Long wicks cause flames to be larger than needed to burn the candle. Flame height should not exceed 1 inch.
Keep flammable items out of melted wax pool. As the candle burns down the flammable items may be at risk of catching fire.
Do not move candle if wax is still liquid. It may be hot enough to cause a burn.
Candles should not be burned near wreaths or Christmas trees.


Holiday Lights (Electrical):

Buy electrical equipment and appliances approved by Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.. Look for the UL label.
Check electrical plugs for dirt, fraying, defects in wiring, sockets and plugs.
Do not overload electrical outlets.
Unplug all lights when leaving home for any length of time.
Do not place extension cords under rugs or through screens. Make sure they are the right size and kept in the open. Walking over and on cords can damage them leading to overheating, shock and fire.
Don't let pets chew on cords.
Outdoor lighting requires waterproof equipment. Wrap extension cord connections with electrical tape or heavy-duty plastic. Aluminum foil should never be used.


Christmas Trees:

Live trees:
- Select a fresh tree.
- Set tree in a base that will hold water to keep it watered during the holiday season.
- Live trees need to be kept watered. Dry trees can catch fire quickly.
Artificial trees:
- Make sure they are fire retardant.
Metal Trees:
- Do not attach electric lights to a metal tree. Use battery operated lights, flood lights or other decorations.
Check all electric cords for safety before placing on trees.
Underwriters Laboratories should approve all electric lights. A tag with the letters UL indicates that the cords and appliances meet laboratories standards.
Do not use extension cords lighter than the appliance cord. Cords could overheat.
Never use candles on a tree or near decorative wreaths.
Do not place your tree near warm air register or fireplace.
Inspect lights on tree frequently for browning or drying. Change position of lights and make sure connections are secure.
Turn off all holiday lighting when away from home.
Remove paper wrapping from around tree. Keep combustible materials from around the tree.
Do not overload the electrical system. Disconnect other electrical equipment when the tree lights are on.


Fireworks: Fireworks can be enjoyable if handled safely and by professionals. Just because fireworks may be legal in your state does not mean they are safe. See web site: The National Council on Fireworks Safety for safety guidelines and your state laws.

Go to a professional display.
Fireworks are not toys.
Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
Always read and follow label directions.
Light one firework at a time.
Fireworks are only used outdoors.
Fireworks that are illegal or homemade should not be used.
Legal fireworks must be used carefully and instructions followed.
Fireworks should be used on a flat, smooth surface away from people.
Fireworks should not be used near trees or on dry grass or underbrush.
If fireworks fail to light the first time DO NOT try to light again. They could explode in your hands.
Point fireworks away from people. Fireworks can be unpredictable and go in different directions then expected.
Children should not handle fireworks.
An adult should supervise children using sparklers at all times.
Water should be kept near by in case of fire.
Fireworks should not be held after lighting.

Copyright ©2000-2009 burntalk. All rights reserved.